Traveling guests are expected to arrive any minute. Are you ready? Not everyone has a room designated just for guests.Redesign is the art of taking what you already have and recreating your favorite place on earth for your guests. With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can carve out a space for guests almost anywhere.
Ideally the room you choose for your guests will have a door for privacy. This will allow your company to have a place they can call their own. Consider the office or bonus room, or a bedroom that is currently used by one of your children. You can group several children into one room to free up bedrooms, and the kids will enjoy the change. Sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags will be like a big slumber party or a camping trip - and the adults who now have their own room will truly appreciate the courtesy. If you are using a room without a door - perhaps the formal living room or sunroom - consider hanging a curtain from a tension rod, or using a screen to close off the room. Move out any items - such as your child's stuffed animal collection - or furniture that won't add to the comfort of your guests stay.
A full or queen size bed is great for single guests or for couples.If the room you are using doesn't have a bed, easy to inflate air mattresses will work.If you have enough space, prepare the bed for company and leave it throughout the visit.If space is lacking in the guest room, the air mattress can be deflated every morning and put away into a closet.
A welcoming bed is the most important element of your guest room whether you are dressing an actual bed or an air mattress.Use high quality sheets in 100% cotton with a high thread count.Try to have comfy pillows available in both down and foam, to accommodate the preferences of any of your guests.A few extra blankets available at the foot of the bed will keep you guests from having to ask, or from having to search through your closets to find them on their own.
Be sure the guest room has a wastebasket, an alarm clock, a box of tissues, and a night light. Bathroom time may be at a premium if there are a lot of people to accommodate. A mirror in the room or space where your guests are would give them more flexibility in preparing for their day. Try leaning a full length mirror up against a wall or set out a handheld mirror. Also, keep plenty of towels and washcloths ready and waiting. Who enjoys going through closets to find an extra towel? A goody basket of fruit, water bottles, crackers, and breath mints would be a nice added touch for the midnight snacker - or for those who just like to eat every four hours! And throw in a small bottle of aspirin so your guests won't have to go through your medicine cabinet. If your guests aren't familiar with the area, be sure to have some regional magazines available - even a current magazine or bestseller - really hitting home that this room is a place to relax and get away.A television with a DVD player is also a nice added bonus - this guest room get away is sounding better and better! If the room isn't typically used as a guest room, add blinds for privacy or for light control for the morning hours. (Paper blinds can be a quick, cheap temporary fix.)
Consider these extras:
1. Extra toothbrushes and razors in the guest room will surely be used.
2. Pull out all of those hotel samples of shampoo, lotion, and little soaps and leave a basketful in the room.Just one more thing that your guests won't have to ask for. Fresh flowers in the room are an extra special touch.
3. If you really feel like going to the max, purchase a couple of terry cloth robes and slippers and leave them for your guests.These are items people like to have, but don't like to pack.Be sure to let your guests know that the items are for them - they may be too polite to use them if you don't tell them beforehand!
4. Extra telephone in the house?Put it in the get away room.Your guests will really appreciate the privacy.
5. And if you are a coffee drinker, you know how grateful you would be to see your own little coffee station, including coffee, mugs, cream and sugar - so your morning can start exactly when you want it to! Though intended as a get away for your guests, once you have turned a room in your home into this luxury retreat, it may just become the ultimate get away for you! And if you walk into someone else's house and notice that the color doesn't quite match in their guest rooms or you have the urge to rearrange their furniture, interior design, redesign or home staging may be the career for you.